A Circle of Sisters and Brothers of Spirit and Scholarship
BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE AKA BOOK OF LIFE
MALACHAI 3: 14 - 16 (Putting verse 16 in context).
14 Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the Lord of hosts?
15 And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.
16 THEN THEY THAT FEARED THE ETERNAL SPAKE OFTEN ONE TO ANOTHER: AND THE ETERNAL HEARKENED (qashab / PAID ATTENTION ), and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before (paniym / IN THE PRESENCE OF ) him (THE ETERNAL) for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.
I get from this that The Book of Remembrance is a metaphor for HIM keeping records of those who have PUT HIS WILL FIRST... as He also BLOTS OUT OF MEMORY those who did some horrific thing against His Will and His Prophets and/or His Chosen as seen below.
8 Then ‘Amalek came and fought with Isra’el at Refidim. 9 Moshe said to Y’hoshua, “Choose men for us, go out, and fight with ‘Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with God’s staff in my hand.” 10 Y’hoshua did as Moshe had told him and fought with ‘Amalek. Then Moshe, Aharon and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11 When Moshe raised his hand, Isra’el prevailed; but when he let it down, ‘Amalek prevailed. 12 However, Moshe’s hands grew heavy; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. Aharon and Hur held up his hands, the one on the one side and the other on the other; so that his hands stayed steady until sunset. 13 Thus Y’hoshua defeated ‘Amalek, putting their people to the sword.
14 THE ETERNAL said to Moshe, “Write this in a book to be remembered, and tell it to Y’hoshua: I will completely blot out any memory of ‘Amalek from under heaven.”
Now here is another place in Torah where the Book was referred to and this is a beautiful example of how one can give self as a ransom for others as it is said that Yahusha did later on just as Moshe here requested but His Plan is not the Plan of the Most High. The point here is that Moshe is aware of the PURPOSE of the a BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE. Chapter 32 of Debarim.
30 The next day Moshe said to the people, “You have committed a terrible sin. Now I will go up to Adonai ; maybe I will be able to atone for your sin.” 31 Moshe went back to Adonai and said, “Please! These people have committed a terrible sin: they have made themselves a god out of gold. 32 Now, if you will just forgive their sin! But if you won’t, then, I beg you, blot me out of your book which you have written!
In every single case the Book of Remembrance refers to the Book where the Most High records the names of those He Remembers for the good they have done for they will be given a Eternal Life as it has been promised. In Psalms and New Testament Books they call it The Book of Life having the very same connotation. Passages Referring to the Book of Life. There are other examples of the fact that Abba records those who are commendable and righteous in HIS BOOK.
(1) Psalm 69:28 “Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.”
(2) Daniel 12:1 “Now at that time Michael, the great prince who stands guard over the sons of your people, will arise. And there will be a time of distress such as never occurred since there was a nation until that time; and at that time your people, everyone who is found written in the book, will be rescued.” Though the word “life” or “living” is not used here, it is part of the same concept.
(3) In the gospels Christ says, “… but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven” (Luke 10:20). “Are recorded” is a perfect tense and looks at an abiding condition. This is evidently another reference to the book of life.
(4) In Philippians 4:3, Paul speaks of “the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.”
(5) Revelation 3:5 “I will not erase his name from the book of life.”
(6) Revelation 13:8 “all who dwell on the earth will worship him (the beast), everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain.”
(7) Revelation 17:8 “… And those who dwell on the earth will wonder, whose name has not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast, that he was and is not and will come.”
(8) In Revelation 20:12 “And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.”
(9) Revelation 20:15 “And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.”
Someone may ask is it possible the Book of Remembrance is a separate book from The Book of Life. My answer is yes but why would it be when He made it very clear that the names in both books are the same names: Those who kept His Will; feared Him and honored Him.